Sr. Accountant, Fixed Assets
Invitation Homes, a fast-paced evolving publicly traded REIT with a market capitalization of over $22 billion, owns and leases over 83,000 single family rental homes encompassing over 900,000 individually tracked fixed asset components. As the nation’s premier home leasing company, we need dedicated, organized, and detail-oriented accounting professionals with an entrepreneurial spirit to provide timely and accurate financial information to our partners in the field and at our corporate offices as well as to our shareholders.
We are seeking a dynamic, innovative Sr. Accountant to join our team. This position will perform accounting and analysis functions and partner with other departments to identify creative solutions that increase the efficiencies of our teams. The ideal candidate embraces teamwork, process improvement, and innovation, while working in a fast-paced environment. If you are a motivated, passionate, quick learner looking for unique career experiences, this role is for you!
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures timely posting of acquisition and disposition transactions (400+ transactions per month).
- Reviews and reconciles the fixed assets module to the general ledger, including roll forward of periodic activity.
- Analyzes account details and assists management with various data analysis and reporting.
- Reviews work completed by accounting associates for accuracy and completeness in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Meets month-end close deadlines, prepares monthly journal entries, completes bank reconciliations, and maintains balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Mentors and encourages staff in their professional development
- Assists with external and internal audit requests (SOX, Compliance, Internal Controls, etc.).
- Assists in the documentation and review of accounting policies and procedures including suggested updates and improvements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting is required.
- Experience working with high volumes of data.
- 3+ years of experience in an accounting environment.
- Intermediate Excel expertise required; Yardi experience a plus.
- Familiarity with HUD or title closing statements a plus.
- Real estate or property management experience a plus.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Analytical thinker with attention to detail and a problem-solving mindset.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Adaptable to new technology platforms and processes.
- Ability to follow and apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong written/oral and interpersonal communication skills; ability to communicate in a professional manner with a customer service focus.
- Accuracy, with the ability to reconcile accounting information and ensure systems data integrity.
- Ability to set and meet goals and consistently meet deadlines.
- Must maintain professional appearance.
- Ability to be at work on a regular and consistent basis; Overtime may be required for this position.
Physical and Mental Demands
This position will spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. The position may also entail light lifting of supplies and materials occasionally, up to and including 20 pounds in addition to reaching, stooping, standing, and walking. This position requires the ability to talk, hear, compare, compute, compile, copy, analyze, coordinate, synthesize, negotiate, and communicate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Hybrid working environment with a mix of t