Manager, Corporate Accounting
Invitation Homes is a fast-paced evolving publicly traded REIT which is pioneering a new industry with over 80,000 single family rental homes and a market capitalization of over $25 billion. We are a team of more than 1,400 associates who come from all walks of life. We call different communities "home," but our shared values bind us together. Invitation Homes is a place where possibility lives. As the nation’s premier home leasing company, we need dedicated, organized, and detail-oriented accounting professionals to provide timely and accurate financial information to our partners in the field and at our corporate offices as well as to our shareholders.
We are seeking a Manager, Corporate Accounting, to join an energetic and collaborative accounting team that encourages creative thinking and innovative ideas to optimize success. We strive to attract talent that enjoys working in a dynamic environment, welcomes opportunities to learn various aspects of the single-family residential business, and embraces collaboration with Senior Leadership. If you are a motivated, passionate, quick learner looking for unique career experiences, this role is waiting for you!
The Manager, Corporate Accounting leads the Corporate Accounting team with two primary responsibilities: (1) delivering timely and accurate financial statements for Invitation Homes’ internal property manager and other corporate entities and (2) developing the team through ongoing performance management, career development, training, and mentoring. The Manager, Corporate Accounting also assists the SEC Reporting team and Senior Leadership in the preparation of quarterly and annual reporting for both internal and external stakeholders, including our SEC filings. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a supervisory role, high proficiency in full cycle corporate accounting, well-developed organizational skills, an attention to detail, and a thorough knowledge of U.S. GAAP.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the month-end close process to ensure accurate reporting within established closing and reporting calendars, including review of deliverables and adherence to established deadlines.
- Oversee and review accounting for our internal property manager including but not limited to payroll, travel expenses, leases for offices and vehicle fleet, and capitalization of internal software.
- Encourage team engagement and create an environment to foster associate development.
- Assist in the budget process and provide monthly, quarterly, and year-end variance to budget analysis.
- Establish, communicate, and train new policies and procedures, and liaise with internal and external auditors while ensuring SOX compliance is maintained.
- Collaborate with internal and external customers and stakeholders, such as other corporate departments, field representatives, and Senior Leadership.
- Read and understand office and vehicle leases, entity structures, and SEC filings.
- Prepare various confidential calculations, as assigned.
- Participate in key projects and innovate processes to gain team efficiencies.
- Comply with policies, procedures and controls and bring inconsistencies and problems to management’s attention.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP is required; CPA (or CPA candidate) desired.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting (or related field) is required.
- 5+ years of accounting desired, with a strong emphasis in full cycle accounting.
- 2+ years of experience supervising and managing a team.
- Experience in the real estate industry (or a large public company) and with Yardi is a plus.
- Highly self-motivated and directed with an ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities including the ability to identify and implement best practices that improve the team’s effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
- Proficient with Excel and excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills, including an ability to effectively present information and build and manage key internal and external relationships.
- High energy and a can-do attitude, exhibiting a responsible and responsive tenacity.
- Willingness and ability to be hands on to get the job done.
- Experience working both independently and, in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Must maintain professional appearance.
- Ability to be at work on a regular and consistent basis; overtime may be required for this position.
Physical and Mental Demands
This position will spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. The position may also entail light lifting of supplies and materials occasionally, up to and including 20 pounds in addition to reaching, stooping, standing, and walking. This position requires the ability to talk, hear, compare, compute, compile, copy, analyze, coordinate, synthesize, negotiate, and communicate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Standard office working environment that may be busy and noisy at times.