Assistant Controller, Corporate Accounting
Invitation Homes, a fast-paced evolving publicly traded company with a market capitalization of over $25 billion, owns and leases over 85,000 single family rental homes. We are a team of more than 1,400 associates who come from all walks of life. We call different communities "home," but our shared values bind us together. Invitation Homes is a place where possibility lives. As the nation’s premier home leasing company, we need dedicated, organized, and detail-oriented accounting professionals to provide timely and accurate financial information to our partners in the field and at our corporate offices as well as to our shareholders.
We are seeking an Assistant Controller, Corporate Accounting, to join an energetic and collaborative accounting team that encourages creative thinking and innovative ideas to optimize success. We strive to attract talent that enjoys working in a dynamic environment, welcomes opportunities to learn various aspects of the single-family residential business, and embraces collaboration with Senior Leadership. If you are a motivated, passionate, quick learner looking for unique career experiences, this role is waiting for you!
The Assistant Controller is responsible for leadership and oversight of accounting functions related to traditional corporate accounting functions , accounting and reporting functions related to our investments in joint ventures and certain other entities and business opportunities. The ideal candidate has significant experience working in a supervisory role with a high proficiency in full cycle corporate and investment accounting, well-developed organizational skills, an attention to detail, and a thorough knowledge of U.S. GAAP.
Corporate Accounting Team Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Corporate Controller to lead and support the team; encourage team engagement; and create an environment to foster associate development through ongoing performance management, career development, training, and mentoring.
- Instill an innovative mindset where processes and deliverables are proactively and continuously enhanced.
- Collaborate with internal and external customers and stakeholders, such as other corporate departments, field representatives, and Senior Leadership.
- Establish, communicate, and train new policies and procedures and liaise with internal and external auditors while ensuring SOX compliance is maintained.
- Assist in leading the month-end close process for Invitation Homes’ management company and other corporate entities to ensure accurate reporting of actual to budgeted financial results within established close and reporting calendars.
- Manage the review of monthly and quarterly balance sheet reconciliations to ensure completeness, including documented support.
- Read and understand loan agreements, partnership agreements, investment documents, leases, entity structures, SEC filings, and investment prospectuses.
Joint Venture (JV) and Other Business Opportunities Accounting and Reporting Duties and Responsibilities
- Aid in the implementation of and guarantee the adherence to both the JV agreements and the related accounting policies and procedures.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reporting packages for all JVs, and annual audit support, as required.
- Coordinate and review monthly management fees, equity pick-ups, and distributions.
- Review activity and transactions related to investments in equity securities and other business opportunities (capital calls, basis calculations, etc.)
Education and/or Experience
- Extensive knowledge of U.S. GAAP, audit and internal control, acquisitions, and due diligence.
- 7+ years of experience in accounting and financial statement preparation.
- 5+ years of experience managing and leading a team of five or more direct reports.
- Active CPA license and a bachelor’s degree in accounting (or related field) is required.
- Background in public accounting is preferred, along with experience in both private and public companies.
- Experience with Yardi software is a plus.
- Highly self-motivated and directed with an ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities including the ability to identify and implement best practices that improve the team’s effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
- Ability to manage key internal and external relationships.
- Proficient with Excel and excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills, including an ability to effectively present information and build and manage key internal and external relationships.
- High energy and a can-do attitude, exhibiting a responsible and responsive tenacity.
- Willingness and ability to be hands on to get the job done.
- Experience working both independently and, in a team oriented, collaborative environment.
- Must maintain professional appearance.
- Ability to be at work on a regular and consistent basis; overtime may be required for this position.
Physical and Mental Demands
This position will involve long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. The position may also entail light lifting of supplies and materials occasionally, up to and including 20 pounds in addition to reaching, stooping, standing, and walking. This position requires the ability to talk, hear, compare, compute, compile, copy, analyze, coordinate, synthesize, negotiate, and communicate. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Standard office work environment that may be busy and noisy at times.